December 14, 2011

She's wearing a dog tag (Really)

So one of the things I worry about is losing my daughter or having her wander off in a place she doesn’t speak the language. We have been practicing her name but in stressful situations (or heck anytime an adult asks her) she freezes. Sometimes she will remember her first name but I have yet to hear her say her whole name to anyone but me.

In addition, I worry because we don’t look alike and transracial adoption is a concept most people have never heard of or can’t comprehend. Needless to say I travel with copies of Jas’s birth certificate, our adoption certification and translation, and her certificate of citizenship as proof of our relationship. I’ve never needed them but I would rather have them than the alternative.

I also worry that she will wander off and not be able to tell anyone who she is or where I am. So I did a bunch of research on the internet for some type of durable id for her and couldn’t find anything I really liked. There were bracelets but they cost $20 and id tags were also expensive. I finally realized that the id tags for people sold on the internet were exactly the same as the pet tags that Petsmart sells in the store. So I went down to Petsmart and got Jas the pink heart dog tag ($6) and put it on a silver necklace. It has her name, nationality, my name, my email and a couple of phone numbers of contacts in the states (since I don’t travel with a phone).
I know she will love it as long as no one tells her it’s a dog tag! So SSSHHH!!

2 comments:

  1. Such a good idea, Becky!
    ( Katy, Lindsay's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get her a leash too! Auntie W

    ReplyDelete